[stunnel-users] Access an arbitrary https website on http://localhost:3000 via stunnel.

Hongyi Zhao hongyi.zhao at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 01:35:05 CET 2016

> On Thu, 2016-01-14 22:41:41 +0800, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
>> [..]
>>
>> I've tried add the following two lines into the /etc/hosts file:
>>
>> 67.166.110.237 www.coolaj86.com
>> 67.166.110.237 coolaj86.com
>>
>> But still the issue exists when I use firefox to open http://localhost:3000/.
>
> Hongyi,
>
> you have to convince firefox use 127.0.0.1 as IP address and
> coolaj86.com as host for the HTTP requests.
>
> 127.0.0.1 is the IP address your stunnel daemon listens on, and
> coolaj86.com is needed by the remote server to select the right
> virtual host.
>
> Try to change your /etc/hosts to read
> |
> | 127.0.0.1 coolaj86.com

Added this to /etc/hosts file.

> and stunnel-tlsvpn.conf to read
> |
> | connect = 67.166.110.237:443

Based on you above notes, I use the following settings in stunnel-tlsvpn.conf:

$ grep -Ev '^[ ]*(#|;|$)' stunnel-tlsvpn.conf
client = yes
verify = 1
foreground = yes
[tlsvpn]
accept = 127.0.0.1:3000
sni = coolaj86.com
connect = 67.166.110.237:443
CAfile = ./root.pem

> Then, use http://coolaj86.com:3000 in firefox.

But still, firefox failed with the above url, the error is as follows:

Secure Connection Failed

The connection to coolaj86.com:3000 was interrupted while the page was loading.

    The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the
authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Why should I slove this issue?

Thanks again.

> HTH,
>
> Ludolf
>
> P.S.: As your signature is English, I suppose it is for European/
>       American/Oceanian eyes and your name is given in the European
>       order (family name last).  Hongyi is your given name then.
>       My apologies if this is wrong.

No, I'm from China.  Thanks for help again.

Regards

> --
>
> Ludolf Holzheid
>
> Bihl+Wiedemann GmbH
> Floßwörthstraße 41
> 68199 Mannheim, Germany
>
> Tel: +49 621 33996-0
> Fax: +49 621 3392239
>
> mailto:lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de
> http://www.bihl-wiedemann.de
>
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Mannheim
> Geschäftsführer: Jochen Bihl, Bernhard Wiedemann
> Amtsgericht Mannheim, HRB 5796

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao at gmail.com>
Xinjiang Technical Institute of Physics and Chemistry
Chinese Academy of Sciences
GnuPG DSA: 0xD108493