[stunnel-users] syslog communication using TLS with the help of stunnel

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at LINworks.de
Tue Nov 24 12:59:27 CET 2015

On 11/24/2015 12:21 PM, Girish Kumar wrote:
> I want to use syslog over TLS that is  over TCP .
> As of now in my project syslogd daemon is used. I am planning to use stunnel to achieve this.

I doubt that you're actually running the original (UCB, if memory serves
well) syslogd. syslog-ng and rsyslog are the two implementations in wide
use now. (journald doesn't seem to support anything even remotely
resembling the syslog protocol.)

For your reference, rsyslog can be configured to communicate via TCP,
encrypted and auth'd by GnuTLS, *and* cache the data on the sending side
when the connection temporarily fails. (Back when I set up the platform
in question, it could not yet combine encryption and RELP, though. Maybe
it can today.)

> I have few questions. Please clarify
> *         To support stunnel, syslogd should be on TCP and  not on UDP?

> *         Is stunnel is a daemon ?

That's how you should set it up for your needs, yes.

Kind regards,

Jochen Bern

LINworks GmbH

Fon:    +49 6151 9067-231
Fax:    +49 6151 9067-299
E-Mail: Jochen.Bern at LINworks.de
Web:    http://www.LINworks.de/

NEC IT Infrastrukturprodukte vom Deutschland Distributor
Server, Storage, Virtualisierung, Management Software
Shop: http://www.NEC-Store.de/

Briefanschrift: Postfach 10 01 21 · 64201 Darmstadt · DE
Hausanschrift: Robert-Koch-Straße 9 · 64331 Weiterstadt · DE
Geschäftsführer: Metin Dogan, Nils Manegold, Oliver Michel
Unternehmenssitz: Weiterstadt
Register: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 85202