[stunnel-users] help - SSL bandwidth overhead with using different ciphers

Leandro Avila leandro.avila at ymail.com
Fri Jul 30 18:50:17 CEST 2010

Hello,

In this case, I believe you should expect different results in speed, due to the
internals of each cipher
and the computations needed to execute the encryption. Consider for instance the
difference

between stream ciphers (RC4) and block ciphers (AES). Also the modes of
operation

(ECB/CBC/CTR) all those factors have an impact on performance.

However, your observation about new processors making things faster is very
true. A lot of implementations have tried to parallelize the encryption to take
advantage of multicore processors. Intel has just added AES to its instruction
set for new processors

(AES-NI) so it is possible that the differences you find are not that big
anymore.

I would suggest comparing RC4 with 3DES to see what your results are. Those are
in my experience the fastest and slowest ciphers respectively. See what your
results are with those.

I'm not an expert but I hope this ideas help at least to enhance the discussion.

Thank you

Leandro Avila