[stunnel-users] Vista questions

Michael Wilson michael.r.wilson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 19:22:53 CET 2009

I am running 4.27 on Vista and can successfully start it and use Blat
to e-mail via my gmail account using stunnel.

However, I have two questions:

Q1:  I would like to close down stunnel after sending my e-mails.  How
can I do that on Vista?

Q2: Why do I get the following when I enter "stunnel -help" at the command line

A window with the heading "Stunnel 4.27 on Win32 (not configured)" that says:
Stunnel server is down due to an error.
You will need to exit and correct the problem
Click OK to see the error log window

The error log is:

Global options
compression     = zlib|rle compression type
debug           = [facility].level (e.g. daemon.info)
EGD             = path to Entropy Gathering Daemon socket
engine          = auto|engine_id
engineCtrl      = cmd[:arg]
output          = file to append log messages
RNDbytes        = bytes to read from random seed files
RNDfile         = path to file with random seed data
RNDoverwrite    = yes|no overwrite seed datafiles with new random data
service         = service name
socket          = a|l|r:option=value[:value]
                  set an option on accept/local/remote socket
taskbar         = yes|no enable the taskbar icon

Service-level options
accept          = [host:]port accept connections on specified host:port
CApath          = CA certificate directory for 'verify' option
CAfile          = CA certificate file for 'verify' option
cert            = certificate chain
ciphers         = list of permitted SSL ciphers
client          = yes|no client mode (remote service uses SSL)
connect         = [host:]port connect remote host:port
CRLpath         = CRL directory
CRLfile         = CRL file
delay           = yes|no delay DNS lookup for 'connect' option
engineNum       = number of engine to read the key from
failover        = rr|prio chose failover strategy
ident           = username for IDENT (RFC 1413) checking
key             = certificate private key
local           = IP address to be used as source for remote connections
ocsp            = OCSP server URL
OCSPflag        = OCSP server flags
options         = SSL option
                  set an SSL option
protocol        = protocol to negotiate before SSL initialization
                  currently supported: cifs, connect, nntp, pop3, smtp
protocolAuthentication = authentication type for protocol negotiations
protocolHost    = host:port for protocol negotiations
protocolPassword = password for protocol negotiations
protocolUsername = username for protocol negotiations
session         = session cache timeout (in seconds)
stack           = thread stack size (in bytes)
sslVersion      = all|SSLv2|SSLv3|TLSv1 SSL method
TIMEOUTbusy     = seconds to wait for expected data
TIMEOUTclose    = seconds to wait for close_notify (set to 0 for buggy MSIE)
TIMEOUTconnect  = seconds to connect remote host
TIMEOUTidle     = seconds to keep an idle connection
verify          = level of peer certificate verification
                  level 1 - verify peer certificate if present
                  level 2 - require valid peer certificate always
                  level 3 - verify peer with locally installed certificate

2009.11.11 13:03:36 LOG3[5440:5128]: Server is down