[stunnel-users] STunnel as a Relay server

Ludolf Holzheid lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de
Tue Sep 16 21:19:46 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-16 14:12:13 -0400, Thomas O'Hare wrote:
> I know this is against what STunnel was made for but...
>
> There are Stunnel installations on client PCs but they also need to use
> STunnel to also send to non-SSL entities -- since it is easier then
> installing 2 relay/proxy servers.  Is there a way to make STunnel into a
> non-SSL relay server?

Thomas,

I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for.

Of course, you can use two instances of stunnel to securely connect a
'clear-text client' to a 'clear-text server':

  client <-clear-text-> stunnel 1 <-SSL-> stunnel 2 <-clear-text-> server

This would make sense only if you'd need the secure tunnel, for
instance if the SSL secured link crosses the Internet.

If you just need a TCP port redirector, you might take a look at the
`redir' class or programs, which gives you the same with much less
effort in both, CPU cycles and administration.

HTH,

Ludolf

Ludolf Holzheid             Tel:    +49 621 339960
Bihl+Wiedemann GmbH         Fax:    +49 621 3392239
Floßwörthstraße 41          e-mail: lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de
D-68199 Mannheim, Germany