[stunnel-users] Stunnel 4 failing to connect to gmail

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Tue Dec 16 01:40:15 CET 2008

Scott Gifford wrote:

> It looks like Google's STARTTLS command requires an EHLO to be sent
> first, which is a someqhat unusual requirement.  I don't think stunnel
> does that.  Port 465 will start talking SSL directly, without
> requiring SMTP commands first.

I've just checked the source code of stunnel-4.26 and it does send EHLO
- unfortunately it sends "EHLO localhost"

I bet Gmail is rejecting that connection as "localhost" isn't a valid
hostname. I think it should use the current hostname instead - that
would tend to be more valid, and if not, is fixable by the host owner.

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417