[stunnel-users] Help please - debug and random file

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Fri Sep 29 23:01:21 CEST 2006

Hello everyone.

I have not been on the list for a long time.  I last compiled openssl
and stunnel in 2000 or so and have been using the same code ever
since.  I use it very simply in client mode ... I have an application
to authorize credit cards and it connect to stunnel in inetd mode
(with -c in the command line).

visanet is now requiring version 2 SSL so I have to change so I got
all the new stuff and compiled it up and made a .conf file.

I have two problems (for now :-) ):
         1) No matter what I do it seems that at least some debug is
coming back through the socket, and no debug is going to my debug file
         2) The debug I am getting is very strange -- the first time
it says "Snagged 64 from bytes from stunnel.rnd"  The second time it
says "Unable to retrieve any random data from stunnel.rnd"  When I
examine the file it has a current date and zero bytes.  If I copy
back my old (2000) stunnel.rnd it always reads once, and then writes
it back out with zero bytes.

I am AIX 4.3.3 and I compiled with xlc and the only option I used
that was not default was to not link in the wrappers.  I did get a
ton of warnings that the "-pthreaded" option was not valid ... but it
executes and responds so I am not sure that matters?  Or should I do
something (what?) about that?

My configuration files for the service (visanet) is:

output = /tmp/stunnel.log
debug = 7
RNDfile = /visanet/ssl/stunnel.rnd
client = yes
connect = ssllab.pgs.wcom.net:443
sslVersion = SSLv2
protocol = smtp
cert = /viasanet/ssl/stunnel.pem

The rnd file and cert file are from 2000 (old old old!).  I would
have expected a file /tmp/stunnel.log -- the file is not even created!

The old inetd line was:

(blah blah)  stunnel -r ssllab.pgs.wcom.net:443 -c -R

What stupid thing am I doing wrong?  Does anyone else have experience
using stunnel with visanet and can they give me any pointers?

This email sent by:

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off
when I sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

Note the change in the domain from vicspdi.com to vicsmba.com !!!!

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots
of pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon and our 62 Spyder convertible.

My younger brother Martin has started a very serious car company.  A
hot rod (very fast) electric roadster is the first offering.  The
chassis is built by Lotus to their specs.  Check it
out:  http://www.teslamotors.com