[stunnel-users] Static Binaries for Linux? (Didn't get answerpreviously)

Hal Vaughan hal at thresholddigital.com
Mon Mar 13 16:32:48 CET 2006

On Monday 13 March 2006 08:08, Michal Trojnara wrote:
> Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > I may need to include Stunnel with my application so my clients
> > behind restrictive firewalls can still enable me to work on their
> > systems with RealVNC.  I'm working with clients on both Windows and
> > Linux.
> >
> > Is there a way to get static binaries for Linux?  I don't
> > know C or C++
> > or much more than running ./configure && make && make install.  I'd
> > like to know if it is possible or what is needed to create static
> > binaries of the files so I could easily install stunnel on any
> > Linux system by just copying over the proper files.
>
> I see no reason to support "install by copy".

For end users who need it working, but don't have the background to deal
with any possible failures in compiling/making it.

> For easy installation use:
>     apt-get install stunnel4
> or whatever command is used on your distribution.

If I knew I were always going to have it installed on Debian, I'd have
no problem with that, but I know there are some cases where it'll be
installed on RedHat or Fedora, and I don't want to risk running into
RPM hell.

So there's no way to create static binaries?

> BTW: Make sure to distribute the source code and the license together
> with stunnel as required by GPL!

Source code is easy -- just a tarball that I can undo in a directory.

> > Also, what archive format does the Windows installer use?
>
> Nothing standard.
>
> > I'd like to
> > do something similar for Windows, so if I could pull the files out
> > of the installer and copy them over myself, it would be a huge
> > help.
>
> Just install it on a testing machine and grab the files.
> Don't forget to distribute the source code and the license together
> with stunnel as required by GPL!

Okay.  I wanted to be sure that if I did that, I wouldn't miss some
files in other directories, like .dll files in the C:\Windows tree.

Thanks!

Hal