[stunnel-users] exclusively TLS

Jesse Small jesse.small at hxti.com
Tue Jan 24 16:44:14 CET 2006

I've been working through the same problem as John, but I tried using Jan's
solution by setting the options and still haven't been able to get it to
work.

On server1 I am running openssl s_server with tls-only specified:
openssl s_server -accept 8443 -cert XDS_REG_HXTI.cer -key hxti1.key -tls1

On the client side (server2), I have stunnel set up as a client listening on
localhost port 8100, and forwarding over to server1, port 8443.  Then to
test I run 'telnet localhost 8100' and see the error message from s_server:
ACCEPT
ERROR
16656:error:1408A10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:wrong version
number:s3_srvr.c:683:
shutting down SSL
CONNECTION CLOSED

In my stunnel.log file I can see this error message:
SSL_connect: 14094410: error:14094410:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3
alert handshake failure

So to me it still seems to be sending out a client hello in sslv3, despite
my efforts to the contrary.  Below are the pertinent parts of my
stunnel_client.conf file.  Any help you could give would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Jesse

; Workaround for Eudora bug