[stunnel-users] stunnel-users Digest, Vol 183, Issue 4

Brent Kimberley brent_kimberley at rogers.com
Sat Oct 26 12:43:49 CEST 2019

 Chris.Does this help?  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40454338/no-shared-cipher-at-ssl-accept-why
If you can rule out libraries like OpenSSL, then look at your config + initial setup exchange.

Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 11:11:54 -0400
From: Christopher Schultz <chris at christopherschultz.net>
Subject: Re: [stunnel-users] Strange connection failure in one environmentOn 10/25/19 10:09, Christopher Schultz wrote:
> All,
>
> I've been using stunnel in two environments (dev, prod) for a long time
> without any problems. Recently, my dev environment started acting funny
> and I can't connect to it from outside the box.
>
> Can someone take a look and let me know if you have any suggestions for
> where to look for a problem?
>
> Both environments have the following things in common:
>
> 1. Hosted in Amazon EC2, no load-balancer in the way
> 2. Configuration requires client-certificate to connect
> 3. All certificates are valid, self-signed, and properly-trusted by both
> sides
> 4. TLS configuration has been locked-down to TLSv1.2, selected cipher
> suites, FIPS mode=off
> 5. All versions are the same: stunnel 4.56 w/OpenSSL 1.0.2k-fips
>
> The production (working) environment happens to be i686 and the
> development environment happens to be x86-86, but I don't believe that
> is relevant.
>
> When I use e.g. "openssl s_client" to connect to the production
> environment and I *do not* provide a client certificate, I am able to
> perform the initial TLS handshake, get a cipher suite negotiated, etc.
> and then the connection fails because I didn't provide the client
> certificate, of course. I *can* see in the handshake the list of allowed
> client certificates.
>
> When I do the same in development, I get a handshake failure. No allowed
> client certificates are shown. No nothing.
>
> If I connect on localhost to the dev server, I get what I'm expecting:
> allowed client certificates are listed, connection is closed because I'm
> not using the client certificate. Connecting from another host gets my a
> handshake failure.
>
> Again, there are no load-balancers or anything between the outside and
> the EC2 instance. I'm connecting as directly as it's possible to
> connect. The box definitely allows incoming connections on the port I'm
> trying to use; the AWS security group is configured correctly.
>
> I have tried dropping ALL security configuration on the dev server's
> stunnel.conf such as client-cert requirements, TLS protocols, cipher
> suites, etc. and I get the same behavior every time. I'm starting to
> think that it has nothing to do with my stunnel.conf configuration at
> all, but I'm at a loss as to where to look, next.
>
> Any ideas?

Some more information:

0. The error I get on the client is "handshake failure" and the stunnel
server drops this log message:

SSL_accept: 1408A0C1: error:1408A0C1:SSL
routines:ssl3_get_client_hello:no shared cipher

Note that I have disabled all but TLSv1.2 on the server. Removing this
restriction does not change the behavior.

1. I have multiple stunnel configuration files on this server. Actually,
I have 4 of them. Connections to ports defined in 2 of these files are
not connecting successfully. Connections to ports defined in the OTHER
two files *are* connecting successfully.

The configurations seem to follow a pattern: those using RSA
certificates as the server-certificate are working as expected, while
those with EC server-certificate are failing.

When I say "working" versus "failing", I mean that this command will
give me a cipher suite and master key, but still drop the connection
because I'm not providing a client-certificate for these tests:

$ openssl s_client -connect host:port

2. I have a Java-based service that *is* able to connect through this
stunnel instance just fine. It's running on a recent version of Java 8.
My CLI client (not OpenSSL) is also running the same version. My CLI
client cannot connect. *weird* In both cases, I am using EC client
certificates, but the certificates are different from each other. Both
of these certificates are trusted by the server.

3. When using OpenSSL 1.0.2t, I *can* connect, get the list of
acceptable client certificates, etc. even without providing a client
certificate.

When using OpenSSL 1.1.1d, I can *not* connect.

So perhaps the inside/outside networking thing I was thinking the
problem might be is incorrect.

AFAIK, both versions of OpenSSL should be able to use EC certificates
and cipher suites.

Thanks,
-chris