[stunnel-users] SOLVED, I cannot get Outlook Express email to work after Cox changes

David Yunker davidyunker at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 22 21:49:29 CEST 2019

To anybody interested,

Here is how to configure Stunnel for Outlook Express v6 in Windows XP to work:

Modify Stunnel configuration to this:

[cox-pop3]
client = yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:110
connect = pop.cox.net:995
CAfile = ca-certs.perm
OCSPaia = yes

[cox-smtp]
client = yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:25
connect = smtp.cox.net:587
CAfile = ca-certs.perm
OCSPaia = yes

Now configure Outlook Express as follows:

Set incoming mail(POP3) to 127.0.0.1
Set outgoing mail(SMTP) to 127.0.0.1
Have "Logon using secure password authentication" unchecked.
Have "My server requires authentication" unchecked
For POP3 set incoming mail (POP3) to port 110.
For SMTP set outgoing mail (SMTP) to port 25.
Have "This server requires a secure connection(SSL)" for POP3 unchecked.
Have "This server requires a secure connection(SSL)" for SMTP unchecked.

Everything works except I have the following error message in the Stunnel log:
"Service [service  name] needs authentication to prevent MITM attacks"

Does anybody know how to prevent this from happening?
I tried having the "My server requires authentication" checked but I still have the message when Stunnel starts.

Thank you for any help.