[stunnel-users] Help, I cannot get Outlook Express email to work after Cox changes

David Yunker davidyunker at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 21 00:27:59 CEST 2019

To anybody who can help,

I am currently using Stunnel version 5.24. I cannot update it to the latest version because I am using it on a Windows XP system.
My problem is that I am currently using COX for my internet provider and COX recently change the email protocol from SSL to TSL.
This is a problem since I am currently using Outlook Express v6 and it does not work with TSL. I recently discovered your Stunnel program
and believe it will solve my problem. I tried changing the items in the configuration file to the following:

fips = yes
[cox-pop3]
client = yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:995
connect = pop.cox.net:995
verify = 2
CAfile = ca-certs.pem
checkHost = pop.cox.net
OCSPaia = yes

Stunnel shows no errors but my email still does not work.

This is what happens when setting up the configuration for Outlook express:

My POP account is pop.cox.net.
My SMTP account is smtp.cox.net.
If I set the POP port to 110 and leave the SMTP port to 25 and I have checked "logon using secure password authentication". But I do NOT
have checked "this server requires a secure connection (SSL)". Then when I attempt to send/receive I get the following error:
  "Unable to logon to the server using secure password authentication account 'pop.cox.net server ...."
If I do check "this server requires a secure connection (SSL)" and leave the POP port to 110 then when I attempt to send/receive I get the following error:
  "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection ..."

If I change the POP port from 110 to 995 and remove the check mark for "this server require a secure connection (SSL)". Then when I attempt to send/receive
I get a time out condition. If I check "this server requires a secure connection (SSL)" and attempt a send/receive I get this error:
  "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection.."

No matter how I configure my Outlook Express I do not receive any email.

I have a friend who has a Windows 7 system and a virtual windows xp installed in it that he uses for his email but is using Outlook in windows xp and this same
configuration works fine for him. Except he has to have "verify = 2" removed from the configuration for Stunnel  and his SMTP port is 587. For it to work.

What am I doing wrong?

Please help!