[stunnel-users] How can stunnel use openssl HW cryptodev encryption

Eric Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Sat Jan 19 00:22:54 CET 2019

I'll give you two pieces of advice that almost everyone on the list won't
agree with :)

1) Make a static openssl and static stunnel and locate them someplace apart
from the standard locations (/usr/local/company_name/lib is what I use).
This means if anyone messes with openssl or stunnel you won't be affected -
and it will always work as it is static - and part of your application - the
user does not even need your libraries.  I have a personal distaste for
dynamic linking . mostly because I have a lot of customers that update a lot
of things (including openssl - a lot - and stunnel sometimes) . and then
wonder why things stop working.  A 10 year old openssl and stunnel - all
static - will still run and work fine past all updates and user messing
around.  I choose when I want to update openssl and stunnel (meaning I look
to see if there is something new I need or want).  As a result I missed the
keep alive and poodle bugs - I did not update until after both were fixed.

2) Forget hardware implementation - geez - modern computers are so darn fast
that I cannot imagine you really need that level of "speed up" versus the
grief you are handling.  I have customers that exchange millions (4+) XML
documents a day, all through stunnel, all through inetd (also not efficient
supposedly - just reliable and always works and needs no management) - and
have no problems.  I am using IBM p Series (AIX) and these machines even at
the low level are fast . but I also use some SCO and Linux and certainly
with lesser volume they are fine as well.

3) OK - 3 is really - use inetd, so much easier and always works (assuming
you have Unix).  If inetd crashes Unix crashes so . see number 2 for reasons
:)

Of course, these ideas won't help much if you don't have a Unix variation or
if you are really that tight on performance (although if you are I'd suggest
hardware upgrades!).

Good luck with your project,

Eric