[stunnel-users] Connection setup for STARTTLS vs. SSL/TLS for POP3/SMTP mail servers?

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Fri Oct 20 11:07:21 CEST 2017

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 07:01:04AM +0200, Ben Stover wrote:
> In stunnels *.conf file I can specify the mail server name and the port for a connection.
>
> How can I tell stunnel to use STARTTLS as connect type?
> How can I tell stunnel to use SSL/TLS as connect type?
>
> Does stunnel support both connect types at all or only one?
>
> Is the connect type for SMTP completely determined by port e.g.:
>
> STARTTLS over port 587 and SSL/TLS over port 465
> or can both connect types use both ports?

Take a look at the excellent stunnel documentation (hint: "protocol").

> Assume I do not get the supported connect type information from my webhoster:

This is highly unlikely; how else are you supposed to configure your
e-mail client?  (assuming you are trying to setup a tunnel to your
provider's e-mail server)

> How can I find it out from my (client) side?

Still, there is a way: if you have somehow managed to guess the correct
hostname and port to connect to, you can use "nc -v" or "telnet".
If the port is 25, or if the server greets you with an SMTP banner
(usually "220 something" or "220-something"), then this is a cleartext
connection and you want to set up STARTTLS (you can test for it by
issuing a couple of SMTP commands and then trying STARTTLS).  If the
server just hangs there and waits for you to send something, then it's
probably a TLS connection; you can test for that by running:

  openssl s_client -connect hostname:port

Still, I do indeed find it highly unlikely that your hosting provider
will not have given you enough information.

> What are there error messages?

Not sure what this question refers to.

G'luck,
Peter

Peter Pentchev  roam at ringlet.net roam at FreeBSD.org pp at storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13