[stunnel-users] Connection setup for STARTTLS vs. SSL/TLS for POP3/SMTP mail servers?

Ben Stover bxstover at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 20 07:01:04 CEST 2017

In stunnels *.conf file I can specify the mail server name and the port for a connection.

How can I tell stunnel to use STARTTLS as connect type?
How can I tell stunnel to use SSL/TLS as connect type?

Does stunnel support both connect types at all or only one?

Is the connect type for SMTP completely determined by port e.g.:

STARTTLS over port 587 and SSL/TLS over port 465
or can both connect types use both ports?

Assume I do not get the supported connect type information from my webhoster:

How can I find it out from my (client) side?
What are there error messages?

Ben