[stunnel-users] Generic/general mechanism to forward mail servername, login, port from client to stunnel

Ben Stover bxstover at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 27 22:43:44 CEST 2013

Refering to my last posting I want to ask a related question:

I read in the past somewhere that I can access stunnel from my local email client in more generic way:

At first: stunnel always listens AUTOMATICALLY by default on port 127.0.0.1:9999 für incoming request
and forwards the prepared/modified request to the outside world.

The core parameter are NOT specified in the .conf file but by the User ID which is passed by the
local client to local stunnel service. The syntax is as follows:

userid=<servername>/<remotes-ssl-tls-port>/<loginname>

Example:

userid=pop.mail.yahoo.com/995/myname123

So as soon as stunnel receives at 127.0.0.1:9999 an incoming local connect he accepts the following userid string and tokenize
it into the three parts. Given these three tokens stunnel is able to connect in the second step the remote mail server
WITHOUT any further need of specification in the .conf file.

Do I remember this correct?

Is this mechanism described somewhere in detail?

Thank you
Ben