[stunnel-users] Hostname verification, support for, and patches

Frederick Slama fslama at comcast.net
Tue Sep 24 16:29:54 CEST 2013

Hi Mike,

Our application is not browser/HTTP based. We are running a daemon which does not have native SSL support. The clients have been modified to "speak" SSL (using java SSLSocket).
Our application runs within a secure network, however we want to encrypt the sensitive content of the protocol. Server-side host verification of the client seemed like a good way to authenticate the client.
Stunnel runs in server mode. We were contemplating the possibility of comparing the client's source address (from reverse DNS lookup) with the CNAME in the certificate.

It looks like your comment (#2) explains the problem with this approach.
	"Comparing CNAME/SubjectAltName against client's IP address or FQDN would be pointless from security perspective, as both are spoofable."

This statement is predicated on the DNS being tampered with, correct?
In our scenario it is unlikely that DNS would be tampered with -- of course, nothing is 100% guaranteed.

Thoughts?

I'll take a look at the link you suggested.

Regards,
-Fred