[stunnel-users] Stunnel Service as other user

Florian Götz f.goetz at hs-mannheim.de
Thu Oct 24 13:30:19 CEST 2013

Hi Stunnel users,

if I use xinetd to start a service I got the possibility to start the
service with a dedicated user. For example:

service fex
    socket_type = stream
    wait = no
    type = unlisted
    protocol = tcp
    bind =
    port = 80
    cps = 10 2
 * user = fex
    groups = yes
    server = /home/fex/bin/fexsrv
    nice = 0
    disable = no

I got some kind of webserver (not apache, nginx etc) that needs to be
started with xinetd (the example above).
This server should get a SSL tunnel.

If I use Stunnel in daemon mode (without jails/chroot) and define a
service like this:

 accept  =
 exec = /home/fex/bin/fexsrv
 execargs = fexsrv stunnel
 TIMEOUTclose = 2

Everything works fine, except that the server now runs as root.
Is there a possibility to set a user for a service?

Best regards
Florian Götz

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Florian Götz