[stunnel-users] Stunnel over a separate proxy?

John A. Wallace jw72253 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 12 05:17:43 CET 2013

socat -lf z:\socat.log -d -d tcp4-listen:<local-port>,fork

In Windows this command at the prompt of a machine with socat installed
would make socat listen for tcp4 data on <local-port>, which it then sends
to localhost, but which you can replace with any IP, where the socks proxy
is running and accepting data on port 9050, for instance; it then sends the
data to <remote-IP> and <remote-port>. The part at the beginning of this
command ( -lf z:\socat.log -d -d ) causes a log file to be created at
directory location z:\socat.log, but you can change the location of course,
and adding more of the "-d", plus space, adds levels of verbosity to the
log. I hope this helps you. The current stable version of socat accepts
socks 4 and 4a, but there is a newer beta version that is supposed to accept
socks 5, though I have not used it yet.

I use socat with great success, but every so often I have to restart the
program once or twice initially. After that is done, it stays connected
well, at least in my experience it remains quite stable. It is an amazing