[stunnel-users] stunnel.exe stops connecting

Mike Brazil mike at milibra.net
Wed Sep 28 01:16:38 CEST 2011

I'm running stunnel 4.44 for both POP3 and SMTP with my email client, Outlook Express, and my Spam filter, Cactus Spam. The OS is Win XP SP3.

I have added the following to stunnel.conf:

client = yes
debug = debug

[pop3s]
accept = 127.0.0.1:11010
connect = camel.arvixe.com:995

[ssmtp]
accept  = 25
connect = camel.arvixe.com:465

Other than adding those lines, I've not changed anything in the rest of stunnel.conf as it comes with the program.

When I boot the computer, Outlook Express, Cactus Spam, and stunnel all start and function correctly. However, after a period of time (a few hours -- I haven't yet pinned down whether there is a specific length to the time period), something goes wrong with stunnel, in that it stops communicating with Outlook Express, and it's CPU usage goes up to 25% (quad-core Intel CPU) and stays at that level indefinitely until I terminate the process. It is only the stunnel.exe process that is affected -- the service continues to run without error. I then restart stunnel.exe, and it works normally once again for a few hours. I usually become aware that stunnel has stopped connecting with Outlook Express when I come back to the computer after a few hours away from it, so I have so far been unable to see whether anything observable occurs when it gets into trouble or whether the length of time it ran properly varies or is constant.

--
Mike Brazil
mike at milibra.net