[stunnel-users] Compiling Stunnel For Windows

Albert pro-logic at optusnet.com.au
Fri Sep 2 13:50:33 CEST 2011

Hi,

I want to compile stunnel for windows, to include the XMPP patch (that I
managed to apply cleanly to the current stunnel code) that I saw on the
mailing list earlier as I need to get it to connect to a SSL only server in
client mode.

I followed the instructions in the Install.w32 file

1) apt-get install gcc-mingw32 - Worked fine with no issues

2) Download the recent zlib from http://www.zlib.net/ ,  Update the
following definitions in win32/Makefile.gcc file: etc *snip*

Worked fine as far as I can tell

 3) Download the recent OpenSSL in unpack it to /usr/src/ directory.,    cd
/usr/src && tar zvxf ~/openssl-(version).tar.gz
I got OpenSSL 1.0.0d

4) Build OpenSSL with cross_mingw32.sh script.

I ran instead ./Configure --cross-compile-prefix=i586-mingw32msvc- mingw
shared zlib-dynamic && make it seems to have worked fine

 5) Download and unpack stunnel-(version).tar.gz. -got stunnel 4.42
 6) Configure stunnel.
      cd stunnel-(version) && ./configure
--with-ssl=/path/to/openssl-(version)

This step worked fine

 7) Build windows executable.
      cd src && make stunnel.exe

The first few compile steps work fine, but I get stuck on:

...i586-mingw32msvc/bin/ld: cannot find -lcrypto.dll

I did a few hours of troubleshooting and trying to move a few files around
but couldn't find crypto.dll anywhere

I'm running a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.04 in a VM if that makes any
difference.

Help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,
Albert