[stunnel-users] Why does verify=3 require the entire cert chain to be present in cafile?

Jean-Yves F. Barbier 12ukwn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 22:15:56 CEST 2011

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 15:54:26 -0400
al_9x at yahoo.com wrote:

> verify=3 means checking is done against local certs.  My point is that
> if the actual server cert is stored locally (i.e. trusted) that should
> be enough.  When I put just the server cert in cafile validation (and
> connection) fails, but when I put the whole chain, it succeeds.  Why
> isn't the server cert sufficient?

Because the SVR cert is used to signed your own cert, this ensure liability
between svr & cli; and if it was only the SVR cert, how could you revoke
client by client?
You would be obliged to revoke all clients at once - which doesn't look
like a very good strategy if you've got 1000's of clients...

--
You will be dead within a year.