[stunnel-users] Why 6 processes for single client-mode service configuration?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 23:27:46 CEST 2011

On 2011-10-10, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm configuring stunnel to encrypt a single client-mode connection:
>
>     client = yes
>     foreground = yes
>     syslog = yes
>     pid =
>     [stunnel-localhost]
>       accept = localhost:4608
>       connect = localhost:4606
>
> Why does that result in _six_ stunnel processes?
>
> [one parent and 5 children]?
>
> It's going to look a ridiculous if I have four instances like that
> configured and end up with _24_ stunnel processes.
>
> I can see two processes (one for data flowing in each direction) but
> six seems way overboard.

Apparently the 5 children all belong to libwrap?  I had configured
"libwrap = no", but that didn't seem to matter.  Rebuilding stunnel
without libwrap support got rid of the 5 useless processes.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! A can of ASPARAGUS,
                                  at               73 pigeons, some LIVE ammo,