[stunnel-users] Generically referencing file locations in stunnel.conf

Bucci, David G david.g.bucci at lmco.com
Mon Sep 20 12:33:34 CEST 2010

Hi - I'm back to trying to run Stunnel with a different user certificate for each user.  So far, the best technique I've found is to have a separate stunnel.conf for each user (in their home directory, which is referenced by envvar %USERPROFILE%), and run stunnel using that configuration file.

As part of that, I'm trying to generically reference file locations (log, user certificates) in the .conf.  But I haven't found a way short of fully pathing the locations in the .conf e.g. "output=c:\users\dbucci\stunnel\stunnel.log".

That's undesirable, because it means I have to make every user's .conf unique.

So ... is there a generic way to accomplish this?  I've tried setting the "Start In" location in the Windows shortcut to that location (via envvar %USERPROFILE%, which allows me to make every user's shortcut generic), then saying "output=.\stunnel.log", but without success - it seems to always be using c:\program files\stunnel as it's starting point for reference.  Likewise, the envvar isn't usable in the .conf

Note that I thought about creating a subdir per user in C:\program files\stunnel (with appropriate perms for that user), but can't, because in many of our deployment locations, users aren't permitted to write to c:\program files.

Btw, this is why I'm asking about the commandline parms in Windows - I don't seem to be able to get them to work, but if I could, I could say e.g. "-o %USERPROFILE%\stunnel\stunnel.log", and that would work generically for every user.  Likewise, I could use "-A %USERPROFILE&\stunnel\usercert.pem" and have a generic way of installing user certs.  Heck, if I could set ALL the options via command line (-c, -r, etc.) I would love to simply do away with a user-specific .conf file.

So ... sorry for rambling a bit, but any help with the intent of what I'm trying to accomplish, make as generic as possible a user-specific config setup?

Thx!

----
David G. Bucci

Chuck Norris can kick through all 6 degrees of separation,
hitting anyone, anywhere, in the face, at any time.
                               -- ChuckNorrisFacts.com