[stunnel-users] Enhance description of transparent mode in FAQ

Michal Trojnara Michal.Trojnara at mirt.net
Thu Nov 25 15:56:47 CET 2010

Ivan Trancik <descent89 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Remote mode is a "I<connect> option"? What the heck? And
> local mode is a "I<exec> option"? Does this "I" thingie stand for
> unnamed pipe or capital "i" or small cap "L"??

My mistake. I updated in on
http://stunnel.mirt.net/static/stunnel.html#service_level_options
Brian Hatch may eventually mirror it to stunnel.org.

> I ran to this problem when I tried to set up stunnel on Mac OS X and
> carelessly used some example config on web.

Please read the following paragraphs.  They explicitly lists supported
platforms.

> Setting "transparent = yes" in Mac OS X will result in very funny
> behavior.

Non-local-bind needs to be supported by the OS kernel.  It's not possible
to get this feature running without kernel support.

> Final question - is it possible on OS X (which doesn't have iptables
> interface, but has ipfw) to set up transparent proxy tunnel with
> stunnel?

No.