[stunnel-users] Stunnel for secure email connections

Lee uklee at ukonline.co.uk
Sun May 24 16:38:37 CEST 2009

Hello Guy and thanks for your reply.

Guy wrote:
> So you have...
> Client (MUA) <=> Avast and/or Popfile <=> Stunnel <=> Server (MTA)

Yes, that's right.

I've looked at the mail headers more, and tried some of the packet
sniffing/log methods, but I'm not really having any more success in
understanding / pinpointing a secure connection.

I think I'm not going to be able to grasp the issues here, so maybe it
is simpler if I could simply state what I have done, to check that it
should be correct;

I installed both OpenSLL and Stunnel. I haven't changed anything from
the OpenSLL install.
In stunnel.conf, I currently have the file shown at the bottom of this
email.
I have changed settings in Thunderbird's mail accounts (hosts and ports)
and in Avast Anti-Virus email scanner. (its redirected ports settings)
Adding Popfile (a local mail 'tagging' proxy) back into the equation has
required some further tweaks to Thunderbird's ports and server usernames
syntax.

As I said earlier, all seems to be working, in that my 'chain' appears
to be having an effect.
However should I be considering anything else to make this process
meaningful, such as certificates or security issues?
My only motive for using Stunnel and OpenSSL is to allow Avast email
scanner to scan _all_ emails, including those it normally cannot scan
due to their servers requiring me to use a secure connection. So, if I
am doing this 'new' process wrongly or opening up security issues due to
not understanding it, I would be better off reverting to how it was
previously, seeing as the mail servers I use state they do virus
scanning anyway.

Thanks again,
Lee
UK

my current stunnel.conf  :-

client=yes
service=popmail

[popmail]
accept = 127.0.0.1:210
connect = pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk:995

[popmail]
accept = 127.0.0.1:310
connect = pop.tools.sky.com:995

[pop3_sky]
accept   = 127.0.0.1:1109
connect  = pop.tools.sky.com:995

[pop3_yahoo]
accept  = 127.0.0.1:1108
connect = pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk:995

[smtp_sky]
accept=127.0.0.1:259
connect=smtp.tools.sky.com:465

[smtp_yahoo]
accept=127.0.0.1:258
connect=smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk:465

[imap_sky]
accept=127.0.0.1:1439
connect=imap.tools.sky.com:993

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090524-0, 24/05/2009
Tested on: 5/24/2009 15:38:38