[stunnel-users] persistent SSL connection

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Fri Mar 13 23:34:53 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 01:28:56PM -0700, Dorai Ashok wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was able to setup stunnel between two hosts successfully but the only
> problem I am facing is that, the SSL connection between the two hosts is not
> persistent. For every connection I make to the stunnel client, a new SSL
> connection is established by the stunnel client to the stunnel server.
>
> Is there a configuration variable in stunnel which can make the SSL
> connection between stunnel client and server persistent ?

I don't think there's a way to do that.  SSL *is* a connection-oriented
protocol - it is meant to authenticate and/or encrypt a single session
between a client and a server.  I don't think that the protocol allows
both the "client" and "server" instances of stunnel (or, for that matter,
any other program that speaks SSL) to negotiate and maintain a multiplex
connection and differentiate between messages from different sessions
that are to be sent to different clients.

Of course, I could be wrong :)

G'luck,
Peter

--