[stunnel-users] Feature request: set environment variable for inetd-type program

Michael Renner michael.renner at gmx.de
Sat Jan 24 19:39:47 CET 2009

On Friday 23 January 2009, Lund, Claus wrote:
> I'm not a developer on stunnel so my opinion doesn't carry much weight  :-)
> But, to me, this seems a bit outside the scope of what's stunnel's main
> goal in life. Why not just have that authentication handled between the
> client and server programs using the tunnel stunnel provides? Or maybe I
> just don't quite get what you're trying to accomplish (a totally plausible
> option!).

Moin,

thanks for your answer. The scenario is simple; at least at the first view.

To reach a proxy server in a country or an other network with less internet
restrictions. This is more or less a simple setup. stunnel at both ends
(firefox can not use https to connect to a proxy).

challenge no 1: protect the proxy from use/abuse by others
challenge no 2: nobody must know that you use a proxy, even if somebody is
using a network sniffer to track the network packages. Therefore, this proxy
must act like a harmless https webserver for others.

scenario no 1: a curious person knows, that I have a lot of traffic to
192.0.20.1:443. He connect with a browser to https://192.0.20.1 and get a
squid error message, that this request was not unserstood -> suspect

scenario no 2: The curious person connect with a browser to https://192.0.20.1
and get a password dialog: suspect

scenario no 3: The curious persion connect to https://192.0.20.1 and get a
client certificate error -> suspect

I have success to set an additional http header using the firefox
plugin "modify header". as a door opener. At the moment, every connect with
this header is processed as a request to the proxy and it should be possible
to find a way to treat connections without this header like a normal http
request (or a redirection to a harmless web site).

But I am afraid to forget to switch off the header entry when I surf without
the proxy between (because the proxy filter out this header and its value).

Well, the possibility to set some variables for an inetd-type program (a
simple script) will solve this problem in a simple way. If the right variable
is set: forward the connection to the proxy, if not forward the connection to
a web server.

Maybe you have an other idea?

CU

--
|Michael Renner      E-mail: michael.renner at gmx.de  |
|D-81541 Munich      Germany        ICQ: #112280325 |