[stunnel-users] Use stunnel through firewall for home Web server?

Michael Renner michael.renner at gmx.de
Sat Jan 24 10:37:38 CET 2009

On Friday 23 January 2009, Bill Eldridge wrote:
> Tom Shaw wrote:

[...]

ok, let's recapitulate:

you have to use SSL, not ssh
you can not use port forward

there is no 'reverse mode' in stunnel

An other alternative with stunnel is to use a SSL-VPN. This encapsulate a ppp
network in a SSL (here: stunnel) connection. It has much more features as you
need, but

* it is SSL
* it is under your control

google will help you to find instructions . There is also an exellent
book "Building Linux Virtual Private Networks" that I bought last week ;-)

CU

> >> As an example if I run Apache on my home machine, I'd like it to
> >> start the tunnel when
> >> I turn it on, have it automatically set up stunnel to a Linux box I
> >> have on the public net,
> >> and have anything to port 8090 on the Linux box get passed to my home
> >> machine 8080.
> >
> > Easier to use ssh to port forward in this instance, IMHO. But why?
> > Seems like just port mapping on the NAT router would work just as well
> > and with no different effect on security.
>
> Because I won't be able to add ssh or access the router in a number of
> cases where I need this,
> but I believe I'll have access to stunnel in many/most cases. Necessity
> is the mother of invention.

|Michael Renner      E-mail: michael.renner at gmx.de  |
|D-81541 Munich      Germany        ICQ: #112280325 |