[stunnel-users] Feature request: set environment variable for inetd-type program

Michael Renner michael.renner at gmx.de
Fri Jan 23 19:34:00 CET 2009

Moin,

I am not a programmer, I am a writer and user, so I have to ask kindly for a
additional stunnel feature
I need the ability to push some information from the stunnel client side to
the server side. To be more concrete: a self written script that is called by
stunnels 'exec' statement need some settings, e.g. username and password. My
idea is to configure this in the client side stunnel.conf and pass this as a
environment variable to this script.
There is no chance to pack these stings in a client certificate, because
everybody who is able to handle snoop/tcpdump will be able to read this.

I imagine a configuration like this:

client stunnel.conf
[foo]
accept = 127.0.0.1:1234
connect = 192.0.20.0:443
env = "SUSER=renner"
env = "SPASS=geheim"

server stunnel.conf
[foo]
accept = 192.0.20.0:443
exec = /opt/foo/script.sh
env = yes

My question to the developers: do you think this is a helpful feature, also
for others?

Greetings
--
|Michael Renner      E-mail: michael.renner at gmx.de  |
|D-81541 Munich      Germany        ICQ: #112280325 |