[stunnel-users] Send delay?

Ludolf Holzheid lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de
Tue Mar 4 17:38:01 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-04 08:02:16 -0800, Colin E wrote:

> Ludolf Holzheid wrote:
> >
> >> However the application is very time critical and must finish sending
> >> block
> >> of XML as quickly as possible.
> >
> > Did you already set the TCP_NODELAY socket option?
> >

> Thanks Ludolf.
>
> Yes that is in the config, but I was wondering how long NODELAY is.

Enabling TCP_NODELAY should disable the Nagle algorithm completely,
not just shorten the send delay.

If TCP_NODELAY is enabled for stunnel is already, are you sure, your
application doesn't use Nagle?

> I might be worrying about nothing, but I can't find it documented.

Are you actually having a timing problem, or are you merely afraid of
one? In doubt, you might check the timing with e.g. wireshark.

Ludolf

Ludolf Holzheid             Tel:    +49 621 339960
Bihl+Wiedemann GmbH         Fax:    +49 621 3392239
Floßwörthstraße 41          e-mail: lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de
D-68199 Mannheim, Germany