[stunnel-users] SSL session caching with multiple clients through stunnel to an https server

Paul McGarry paul at paulmcgarry.com
Thu Dec 6 07:59:00 CET 2007

Hi there,

I have an application where apache/php processes make SOAP requests
over https to a single remote server (which is IIS I think). I am
trying to cut down the time each request takes.

In it's current configuration I think some time will be wasted as the
php client and IIS server handshake to set up a new SSL connection for
each request, thereby adding (at least) twice the network latency
between the two servers to each request.  (As far as I can tell there
is no way to make php SOAP use some kind of persistant connection or
SSL cache when talking to the server)

I am wondering if I pushed the soap requests as http through stunnel
whether stunnel would be more efficient with SSL connections or
whether it will just create a new tunnel with a new ssl session for
each request it receives?

Does anyone have any advice?

Paul