[stunnel-users] "SSL_read returned WANT_READ: retrying" at 30Hz

Vincent Lascaux vincent.lascaux at centraliens.net
Tue Sep 12 06:53:44 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to use rsync (2.6.8) through STunnel (4.16) to synchronize two PC
over the internet (they both have the same version of stunnel and rsync).

On the server, I have STunnel running with this configuration:
	cert = stunnel.pem

	; Some performance tunings
	socket = l:TCP_NODELAY=0
	socket = r:TCP_NODELAY=0

	; Some debugging stuff useful for troubleshooting
	debug = 7
	output = stunnel.log

	[rsync]
	accept  = 273
	connect = 873

On the client I have this configuration:
	cert = stunnel.pem

	; Some performance tunings
	socket = l:TCP_NODELAY=0
	socket = r:TCP_NODELAY=0

	; Some debugging stuff useful for troubleshooting
	debug = 7
	output = stunnel.log

	client = yes

	[rsync]
	accept  = 873
	connect = UrlOfMyServer:273

Then I connect with rsync using
	rsync -a -h --progress --stats --partial
Account at localhost::RemotePath LocalPath

I think the connection is not really stable. RSync sometimes hang. The log
file on the client side show 2006.09.11 21:33:11 LOG7[2008:1468]: SSL_read
returned WANT_READ: retrying at 30Hz (that's right, it means 30 times a
second). My log file nearly gets bigger faster than my downloaded file ;)

Is it expected? What does this line mean? I turned TCP_NODELAY to 0 thinking
that it my give me synchronous sockets and that it would remove that error,
but it didn't...

Any help appreciated,
Thanks

--