[stunnel-users] Connection reset by peer on same local networ k?

Jeremy Simons jsimons at eagleoptics.com
Tue Jan 3 22:47:11 CET 2006

The problem is not with stunnel, but with rsyncd. I assume you are running
rsyncd on the source machine in conjunction with the /etc/rsyncd.conf file.
The cool thing about running rsyncd through stunnel is the rsync client
appears to the rsyncd as a local machine (obviously) so permissions are a
problem. The best way I could recommend since you need to access root owned
files would be to setup your rsyncd entry something like:

## Example of full access to /home directory
[home]
uid = root
gid = root
path = /home
comment = home directory.
hosts allow = 127.0.0.1
read only = no
ignore nonreadable = no
refuse options = checksum
dont compress = *

If you notice the "hosts allow" directive only allows access from
localhost(127.0.0.1). The problem is *anyone* can connect to your stunnel
server unless you require security I would recommend using your firewall to
allow access to your stunnel instance and also to use non-standard ports
(I.E. 50000-50010). Using a firewall in lieu of authentication is obviously
NOT secure or even recommended for a production environment but is simply
added security that certainly doesn't hurt. The workaround would be to
secure stunnel and leave rsyncd wide-open to localhost.

As for the "connection reset" errors I was getting the same thing until I
upgraded to the latest version of stunnel. I read a post on stunnel.mirt.net
about it. Are you sure you're using the latest version of stunnel?

Jeremy