[stunnel-users] stunnel and syslog

Bart Somers zon4jou at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 09:19:08 CET 2006

On 1/18/06, Michal Trojnara <Michal.Trojnara at mobi-com.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 18 of January 2006 15:19, Bart Somers wrote:
> > We recently ran in to a problem using stunnel on our AIX 5.2 machines.
> [cut]
> > stunnel 4.11 on powerpc-ibm-aix5.2.0.0 UCONTEXT+POLL+IPv4 with OpenSSL
> > 0.9.8 05 Jul 2005
>
> I'd try to:
> 1. Upgrade stunnel to version 4.14.
> 2. Try to monitor it with "truss" command.
> 3. Try another threading model
>     ./configure --with-threads=model
>       to select threading model (ucontext/pthread/fork)

I upgraded to  4.14 and builded stunnel with all three threading models:

1) ucontext gave the same problem as the above mentioned 4.11 ucontext
version
2) pthread gave me a strange error during the "./config"  phase:

checking pthread.h usability... no
checking pthread.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: pthread.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: pthread.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: pthread.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: pthread.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: pthread.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: pthread.h: in the future, the compiler will take
precedence
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------ ---- ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to the stunnel lists.  ##
configure: WARNING:     ## ---------------------------------- ##
checking for pthread.h... yes

After this, i couldn't build the software in the "make" phase. I'm sorry i
forgot to capture that error, but it came from the pthread.h header file.
I'll capture the entire error next week if you're interested.
For the time being i'm also looking for another build-machine, because i'm
not sure this problem can be caused by an old version of GCC (2.9, shame).

3) the fork option builded nicely, no warnings whatsoever, but has the same
behaviour as the ucontext build, crashes with both syslog and engine=chil
enabled.

I haven't had the possibility to use truss on the binary's, hopelfully i'll
try that next week.

Thanks for your information so far, if i have any news, i'll post it here.

Best regards,

Bart Somers