[stunnel-users] stunnel and NNTP on windows - best practices

Sir Thanksalot sirthanksalot at lycos.com
Sat Apr 9 01:32:54 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I am trying to use stunnel for SSL access to a NNTP newserver and found quite a few pages that list ways of doing that. I personally am using xnews as my newsreader, and I have seen variations of the same instructions with different software (Agent, Free Agent for newsreaders, Pegasus Mail as your mail application etc.).

For completeness sake, here are some of the ones that I've found -
http://www.cotse.net/users/putty/ssl (for Xnews and stunnel 4.x)
http://www.geocities.com/d4vidb/x_setup13.html (for Xnews and stunnel 3.x - doesn't use the stunnel.conf file necessary in stunnel 4.x)
http://www.noderunner.net/~llin/old/nntp-ssl.html (for a newsreader and stunnel 3.x. It also has links to a stunnel.conf file for stunnel 4.x users)

In all these instructions (whether using the stunnel 3.x commandline options or using the stunnel.conf file for stunnel 4.x), I haven't seen any instructions about creating any certificates or public/private keys or a passphrase. Also there doesn't seem to be any writeup on what algorithm actually ends up getting used or even a way to pick which algorithm to use.

What's the best practise for users? Should they do anything extra? Set up key pairs? Choose a default algorithm?

Thanks.