[stunnel-users] stunnel dies on win32 - Try again with out HTML

Richard Whiffen richwhiffen at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 5 17:13:41 CEST 2004

We have a problem where stunnel dies on our Win32 boxes when we attempt load
tests:

stunnel 4.05 on x86-pc-mingw32-gnu WIN32 with OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004

Global options
cert            = stunnel.pem
ciphers         = ALL:!ADH:+RC4:@STRENGTH
debug           = 5
key             = stunnel.pem
RNDbytes        = 64
RNDoverwrite    = yes
service         = stunnel
session         = 300 seconds
taskbar         = yes
verify          = none

Service-level options
TIMEOUTbusy     = 300 seconds
TIMEOUTclose    = 60 seconds
TIMEOUTidle     = 43200 seconds

When we had one stunnel.cnf for all services it would crash almost
imediately (less than a minute after starting the load).   When we created
separate processes for each target server it lasts longer, 5 to 10 minutes,
but still dies.  The frustrating part is we get no indications in the log
files of what's going on.  It dies in seemingly random spots.  The last log
entry is never the same and there's nothing in the cmd window that launched
it to indicate what happened.

The conf is fairly simple:

#script test conf

cert = \stunnel\ohetestisg1.pem
Cafile = \stunnel\css-ca-cert.pem
CApath = \stunnel\certs
output = \stunnel\stunnel-media.log

#verify = 3
client = yes
debug = 7

[**mediaserver]
accept = 127.0.0.3:80
connect = 10.162.130.26:444
TIMEOUTclose = 0

We're connecting to a Cisco Content Server Switch if that helps.

So I'm wondering where to go next.  Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Rich Whiffen