[stunnel-users] Stunnel not working with Qmail

Paul Swainson paulswainson at erpimplementers.com
Thu Nov 4 13:31:51 CET 2004

Hi to all list members, I will try to as descriptive as possible about the
problem. I have a qmail install and I had used courier for imap, imapssl &
pop3dssl. I wanted to implement smtp ssl. I have gone through the stuff at
stunnel.org but I don't think its my qmail config that's the problem.

This is the first time I have used stunnel, I compiled no probs and before
doing so I installed open ssl 0.9.7e

I have created a conf for stunnel and here it is:

Cat /usr/local/etc/stunnel/smtpsd.conf

cert = /usr/local/etc/stunnel/stunnel.pem
exec = /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
#********
execargs = /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd mydomain.com /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
/usr/bin/true 2>&1
#********
client = yes
foreground = yes

in the qmail run (smtpsd) script I have amended it to read

#!/bin/sh
QMAILQUEUE="/var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl" export QMAILQUEUE
QMAILDUID=`id -u vpopmail`
NOFILESGID=`id -g vpopmail`
MAXSMTPD=`cat /var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming`
LOCAL=`head -1 /var/qmail/control/me`
if [ -z "$QMAILDUID" -o -z "$NOFILESGID" -o -z "$MAXSMTPD" -o -z "$LOCAL" ];
then
echo QMAILDUID, NOFILESGID, MAXSMTPD, or LOCAL is unset in
echo /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run
exit 1
fi
if [ ! -f /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts ]; then
echo "No /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts!"
echo "Refusing to start SMTP listener because it'll create an open relay"
exit 1
fi
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 40000000 \
/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -R -l "$LOCAL" -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c
"$MAXSMTPD" \
-u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 465 \
#*********
/usr/local/sbin/stunnel /usr/local/etc/stunnel/smtpsd.conf

Execargs has in the stunnel conf is the line from smtpd run script, when it
runs I don't have any output to the log so I can only assume stunnel is
dying before it starts the session.

Has anyone got this working? I know that it can but a lot of examples are
for pop3ds. If I type stunnel /usr/local/etc/stunnel/smtpsd.conf I get the
following error: Unable to open "/dev/cryptonet"

Any help on this would be much appreciated, Thanks

Regards

Paul Swainson