[stunnel-users] My home ISP blocking ssh protocol

Christopher Schultz chris at christopherschultz.net
Thu Dec 12 15:57:38 CET 2019

Matt,

On 12/11/19 17:53, Matt Thomas wrote:
> I need to know if Stunnel is going to accomplish what i need to do. My
> home ISP blocks protocol HTTP and SSH from coming in so that people cant
> run their own website from home without paying the ISP for a "Business" line
>
> All i am trying to do is have a SFTP server that i can access my dang
> files from while i am at school, work, friends house, library or
> wherever. I have tried ssh on multiple random ports and made sure all
> firewall rules and port forward rules were correct in my home router. I
> know they work because i even went as far as setting up a minecraft
> server to just test the port forward rules out and sure enough, my
> friend 200 miles away can connect just fine to my home minecraft
> server.. But he can not connect to the ssh server. No logs are ever
> created on the server either because something is stoping the packet
> from even hitting my router, that something is my ISP
>
> Would stunnel allow me to make ssh traffic look like regular https
> traffic, thus allowing me to connect to my server at home so i can do my
> homework??

Those other servers probably use TLS or plaintext connections. stunnel
uses TLS, but ssh/sftp use a slightly different protocol that may
possibly be distinguishable by a determined ISP.

I would think that using stunnel to tunnel SFTP/SSH would be possible,
though not strictly necessary. I suspect some other problem is
preventing you from succeeding.

Can you be more specific about exactly what you did for configuration?
Port numbers, specific things you did, etc? You don't have to disclose
your public IP address, but perhaps give the local IPs of your router
and home server, etc?

-chris