[stunnel-users] Stunnel running as service on Windows Server 2008 R2 but Stunnel All Users shortcut on the desktop reports that it server is down?

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Wed May 16 11:13:13 CEST 2018

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 04:54:05AM +0000, Alex Birchall wrote:
> According to the documentation, "client" mode can be "yes" or "no".  Default is "no" - server mode.

The "client" setting does not depend on whether you run stunnel as
a service or not; the only thing it depends on is what role you
want stunnel to play in the TLS tunnel.  When stunnel runs in
client mode, it accepts unencrypted connections from other programs
(e.g. an e-mail client) and establishes a secure tunnel to a TLS
server to send the data encrypted over the network.  When stunnel
runs in server mode, it accepts encrypted connections over
the network, decrypts the data, and sends it to a server that does
not know how to or does not want to handle the TLS encryption by
itself.

If you know that you want to run stunnel in server mode (let it
accept TLS connections, decrypt the data and hand it off to some
server-like application to process it), then it is "client = no".

G'luck,
Peter

Peter Pentchev  roam at ringlet.net roam at FreeBSD.org pp at storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13