[stunnel-users] Stunnel connection issue?

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Thu Jul 5 13:18:27 CEST 2018

On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 09:58:33AM +0000, Spies, Will wrote:
> I've been trying to get Stunnel to work for some time now.  I have
> avoided using the mail list - but I see no recourse now.  I think I've
> tried just about every setting I could find.  I appear to be getting a
> connection issue - but as you will see the log just doesn't indicate
> clearly what is going on.  The behavior is my client is failing to get a
> connection through Stunnel to my backend.  The log appears to be closing
> a socket (but can't tell which one frontend or backend).

Actually the log says "TLS socket closed (SSL_read)", which means that
the "read some bytes from the secure socket" operation said "there are no
bytes to read, the other side closed the connection", meaning your client,
the one that negotiates the TLS connection with stunnel, has closed
the connection immediately after stunnel considered it negotiated.
The next line in the log, "0 byte(s) sent to TLS, 0 byte(s) sent to
socket", says that the client did indeed not even try to send any data
over the established secure connection or receive any data from it, it
just closed the connection immediately after stunnel thought they had
formed a chummy relationship.

Is there any way you could get your client program to log verbosely what
it is trying to do over the secure connection?  Are there any messages on
that side?

G'luck,
Peter

Peter Pentchev  roam@{ringlet.net,debian.org,FreeBSD.org} pp at storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13