[stunnel-users] Client cert auth ?

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Tue Feb 27 16:14:43 CET 2018

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 01:12:32PM +0100, Brian Ipsen wrote:

> Hi
>
>  I am trying to see if I can get stunnel to authenticate using a client certificate  towards a F5 setup - but I am having trouble getting it to work.
>
> Certificates are issued froma Microsoft PKI - where the F5 checks validity via an OCSP responder.
>
> In my stunnel config file, I have:
>

> [F5Cert]
> client=yes
> accept = 127.0.0.1:1598
> connect = F5test.xxx.dk:443
> delay = yes
> CAFile = GlobalSign-cert-Chain.pem
> Cert = BaaSClientCertificatePlain.pem
> key = BaaSClientCertificatePlain.key
> verify = 2
>
> In the CAFile, I have the root CA and issuing certificate from GlobalSign - which have created the SSL certificate being used on the F5 (server side).
>
> Cert and Key points to the certificate and private key from my internal Microsoft based PKI.. But should the certificate chain from my internal PKI be listed somewhere as well ?

I don't have any experience with Microsoft PKIs or with F5, but IMHO it
is there - on the F5 SSL server - that both your internal root
certificate and the intermediate chain should be configured.  From what
I've seen in a quick websearch, you can add a bundle (root +
intermediates) to the F5 trusted store.

If you have already done that and it doesn't work, maybe some logs might
be useful to people who are more familiar with F5 - both stunnel client
logs and any kind of logs that the F5 keeps.

G'luck,
Peter

Peter Pentchev  roam at ringlet.net roam at FreeBSD.org pp at storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13