[stunnel-users] Bug: Modifying configure.ac results in error

Reschke, Sven (VWIF G-TS/P) sven.reschke at volkswagen-infotainment.com
Fri Sep 22 10:52:13 CEST 2017

Hallo,

I've encounter a problem when editing the configure.ac.

I've upgraded to Stunnel 5.42, the problem wasn't existent with Stunnel 5.41.

The normal operation is that "./configure" and "make" will run without an error.

So far, so good. Now, if I edit the configure.ac, running again "./configure" and "make", "make" will report:

CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd . && /bin/sh <path_to_stunnel_sources>/stunnel-5.42 /auto/missing aclocal-1.14 -I m4
cd . && /bin/sh <path_to_stunnel_sources>/stunnel-5.42 /auto/missing automake-1.14 --gnu
CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd . && /bin/sh <path_to_stunnel_sources>/stunnel-5.42 /auto/missing autoconf
configure.ac:4: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_NOTICE
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:23: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DEFINE
make: *** [configure] Error 1

Here it doesn't matter what I change in configure.ac. Even the slightest modification results in the error.

After some investigation, running "make" with "-d" showed that it will call auto/missing, because of the newer version of configure.ac.

Comparing aclocal.m4 before and after calling "make" shows, that mainly the lines added between the version 5.41 and 5.42 are missing now (lines #23 - #741).

As I'm not so familiar with the whole compile process, I found a simple hack, which solves the problem for the moment:

Adding these missing lines to a new file named m4/acinclude.m4.

After that, compiling, installing and running Stunnel works fine.

Can someone verify?

If you have questions, I'll try my best to answer them :)

Best Regards,
Sven Reschke
Embedded System SW Developer
G-TS/P