[stunnel-users] Help with connectivity issue

Rob Allen robert.allen at eyefinity.com
Fri Sep 15 21:05:35 CEST 2017

I’ve installed stunnel on an Amazon EC2 instance:

stunnel 4.56 on x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu platform
Compiled/running with OpenSSL 1.0.1e-fips 11 Feb 2013
Threading:PTHREAD Sockets:POLL,IPv6 SSL:ENGINE,OCSP,FIPS Auth:LIBWRAP

Global options:
debug                  = daemon.notice
pid                    = /var/run/stunnel.pid
RNDbytes               = 64
RNDfile                = /dev/urandom
RNDoverwrite           = yes

Service-level options:
ciphers                = FIPS (with "fips = yes")
ciphers                = ALL:!SSLv2:!aNULL:!EXP:!LOW:-MEDIUM:RC4:+HIGH (with "fips = no")
curve                  = prime256v1
sessionCacheSize       = 1000
sessionCacheTimeout    = 300 seconds
sslVersion             = TLSv1 (with "fips = yes")
sslVersion             = TLSv1 for client, all for server (with "fips = no")
stack                  = 65536 bytes
TIMEOUTbusy            = 300 seconds
TIMEOUTclose           = 60 seconds
TIMEOUTconnect         = 10 seconds
TIMEOUTidle            = 43200 seconds
verify                 = none

I’ve created the stunnel.conf file:

[smtp-tls-wrapper]
accept = 2525
client = yes
connect = email-smtp.us-west-2.amazonaws.com:465
protocol=smtp
delay = yes

I’ve tested the connection to SES (successfully) via openssl:

[ec2-user at ip-172-31-4-68 ~]$ openssl s_client -quiet -crlf -connect email-smtp.us-west-2.amazonaws.com:465
depth=2 C = US, O = "VeriSign, Inc.", OU = VeriSign Trust Network, OU = "(c) 2006 VeriSign, Inc. - For authorized use only", CN = VeriSign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority - G5
verify return:1
depth=1 C = US, O = Symantec Corporation, OU = Symantec Trust Network, CN = Symantec Class 3 Secure Server CA - G4
verify return:1
depth=0 C = US, ST = Washington, L = Seattle, O = "Amazon.com, Inc.", CN = email-smtp.us-west-2.amazonaws.com
verify return:1
220 email-smtp.amazonaws.com ESMTP SimpleEmailService-2370111491 wa7VtNk9b7c4TX0jNpdG

But when I try to access through stunnel via localhost with telnet, I get this:

[ec2-user at ip-172-31-4-68 ~]$ telnet localhost 2525
Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

I’ve tried everything I can think of; I’ve read all the blogs and pages related to connecting from ec2 to SES via stunnel and I just can’t get it to work.  Does anyone have any suggestions for other things I could try?

Thanks in advance,
Rob Allen, CPO
Software Engineer | Eyefinity
NOTICE: This message is intended only for the individual to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or use is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and destroy or delete this communication immediately.