[stunnel-users] Connecting stunnels

Ludolf Holzheid lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de
Thu Mar 31 13:09:12 CEST 2016

On Thu, 2016-03-31 09:20:11 +0000, Juhasz Gabor wrote:
> Hi Ludolf,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> >in your picture above, I don't understand who is supposed to establish
> >the connection (i.e. who is to act as a client) and who is supposed
> >to wait for connections (i.e. who is to act as a server).
>
> There are 2 clients (left and right side) and the middle is the server
>
> [host1] ------------- [host2] ------------ [host3]
> [stunnel client] ---> [stunnel server] <-- [stunnel client]
> [telnet client] ----> [tunnelserver] ----> [telnet server]
>
> These arrows are on my original pictures.

Gabor,

I still don't understand which unit you want to act as a server and
which as a client for each connection.

The telnet client is a client at any case.  On request of a user, the
telnet client establishes a connection to e.g. the stunnel instance on
host1.

The telnet server is a server at any case.  A server doesn't establish
connections, but waits for incoming connections.  So who is supposed
to establish the connection between the stunnel instance on host3 and
the telnet server, and on whose request?

> The server has 2 instances of stunnel and I'd like to connect them somehow.

What does the term 'server' refer to in this sentence?

Maybe it helps if you explain the application you are trying to set
up.  In a previous mail, you mentioned HTTP, so I think there is a web
browser (e.g. Firefox) and a www server (e.g. Apache) you want to
connect.  Is that correct?

Ludolf

--

Ludolf Holzheid

Bihl+Wiedemann GmbH
Floßwörthstraße 41
68199 Mannheim, Germany

Tel: +49 621 33996-0
Fax: +49 621 3392239

mailto:lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de
http://www.bihl-wiedemann.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Mannheim
Geschäftsführer: Jochen Bihl, Bernhard Wiedemann
Amtsgericht Mannheim, HRB 5796