[stunnel-users] Stunnel connection host address not appearing in sent message.

Donald F. Coffin dcoffin at greenbuttonalliance.org
Mon Jun 20 18:31:51 CEST 2016

I am using stunnel to enable SoapUI Mock Servers to support SSL connections.

I am attempting to send the following SSL message:

https://services.greenbuttondata.org/oauth/token?grant_type=client_credentia
ls
<https://services.greenbuttondata.org/oauth/token?grant_type=client_credenti
als&scope=FB=39_40> &scope=FB=39_40

Using Wireshark, it appears the message being sent is POST
/oauth/token?grant_type=client_credentials&scope=FB=39_40 which is receiving
the following response:

            Error 404 (Not Found)

The contents of the stunnel.conf file is:

; *****************************************************************

: * Service definitions (at least one service has to be defined)           *

; *****************************************************************

; *****************************************************************

; * Resource Server
*

; *****************************************************************

[resourceServer]

accept=localhost:8080

connect=services.greenbuttondata.org:443

ciphers=AES128-SHA

client=yes

cert=/etc/stunnel/stunnel.pem

verify=0

; *****************************************************************

; * Authorization Server
*

; *****************************************************************

[authorizationServer]

accept=localhost:8082

connect=services.greenbuttondata.org:443

ciphers=AES128-SHA

client=yes

cert=/etc/stunnel/stunnel.pem

verify=0

[tpserver]

accept=localhost:8444

connect=localhost:8081

cert=/etc/stunnel/stunnel.pem

ciphers=AES128-SHA

client=no

verify=0

The HTTP log from SoapUI shows the following:

"POST /oauth/token?grant_type=client_credentials&scope=FB=36_40 HTTP/1.1"

"Accept-Encoding: gzip.deflate"

"Authorization: Basic UkVHSV...  "  (not shown for security)

"Host: localhost:8082"

"Connection: Keep-Alive"

"HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found"

"Server: ghs"

Through experimentation, the request only fails when using the stunnel proxy
server, but works when sent directly to the targeted endpoint.

Best regards,

Don

Donald F. Coffin

Technical Manager