[stunnel-users] stunnel beta (5.04b1) is available for testing

Pierre DELAAGE delaage.pierre at free.fr
Tue Sep 16 22:23:18 CEST 2014

Dear Michal,

Le 16/09/2014 19:25, Michal Trojnara a écrit :
 > Honestly, I don't like the idea of using format strings that are
 > clearly documented by Microsoft as obsolete and likely to be
 > incompatible with future versions of Windows.

Ok...but I think you are and I am "partly" wrong :
the interest of %hc/%lc or %hs/%hS was that they ARE STABLE in MEANING
whatever you use printf or wprintf:
for example %lc always interprets and prints a supposed wide char as
...a wide char, not a couple of ansi chars.

ie : those syntax are MUCH MORE CLEAR and EXPLICIT than just using "%s"
or "%S" whose meanings are CHANGING whether you compile for unicode or not.

Anyway...I checked the standard C libc and it appears that %hc and %hs
are NOT  ISO C99 standard compliant
while %lc and %ls are...
See that pdf : http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1570.pdf
page 405-406
and here :
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Table-of-Output-Conversions.html#Table-of-Output-Conversions

*****
Finally, it is easy to redefine the format_specs strings I gave in my
v502 patch to correct values:
so just remove the "h" letter in my ansi specs...and LET the "l" letter
in my unicode format specs.
*****

NOTE : this is where your MINGW warnings come from : in standard C, the
%h prefix is reserved to numerical types, not string/char types.
I do hope that you compiled with MinGW defining some UNICODE flag, and
that MINGW knows how to deal with TCHAR...
because, even if I can make mistakes, I am not a newbie and carefully
checked those FORMAT_STRINGS : both for ansi and unicode in all the
various possible cases...so that I did not see at once what was the
problem with the mingw compiler...but now I think the issue with it is
around numerical misinterpretation of wchars/wstrings due to my abusive
use of "%h" flag...

Provided that we know what we are doing and get some code, with
appropriate #define,  that unambiguously formats Wide strings/chars as
wide, and ansi as such,
we can choose between various solutions.
I prefer to use explicit FORMAT_STRINGS than obscuring the code by
doubling any printf line, taking the risk to misuse some %l flag or,
worsely, to play dangerously with %s and %S,
because both can be used BOTH with printf and wprintf and CHANGE (I
should say : REVERT) their meaning in ANSI and UNICODE compilation context.

Whatever you take the problem, you have to have different format_specs
strings for unicode or ansi strings printf.

Regards
Pierre