[stunnel-users] Support for PSK

Thomas Conté thomas at conte.com
Sat Sep 6 18:44:47 CEST 2014

Hello everyone,

In the context of an embedded project, I have developed a lightweight,
PolarSSL-based TLS-PSK client running on an Arduino board.

Now I am looking for a generic server-side solution to connect the TLK-PSK
client to a few Web services living in various app servers (Node.JS, IIS,
and others). Since PSK support is not widespread, I am thinking about using
stunnel as a generic front-end to these services.

I have done a quick-and-dirty POC of adding PSK support to stunnel and it
looks like this could be done with minor modifications, e.g. adding a call
to SSL_CTX_set_psk_server_callback and the corresponding callback to ctx.c.
Right now the psk_key and psk_identity values are hard-coded, so of course
those need to be added to the configuration file.

Is the community interested in further work in that area? Or is PSK support
already in the stunnel roadmap?

Thomas Conté.