[stunnel-users] Output to neither stdout nor stderr it seems

Casper Thomsen ct at clearhaus.com
Mon Nov 10 23:25:30 CET 2014

Hi Ludolf,

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 9:55 PM, Ludolf Holzheid
<lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de> wrote:
> Could this be syslog looping back to the console?

That's definitely possible in some sense. However, syslog is not
running. Namely,
$ ps aux|grep -vE "(bash|stunnel.conf|ps aux)$"
gives nothing but the header row and the grep itself and /dev/log
socket is not present.

However, if I produce a /dev/log socket by a syslog, the log ends there.

"logger foo" does not produce output when syslog is not running.
Could stunnel simply be writing to /dev/tty? Is this expected
behaviour when syslog is missing?

Anyway, if I add "syslog = no" to the config file, nothing is output.
Maybe I'm misreading the docs: "Stay in foreground (don't fork) and
log to stderr instead of via syslog (unless output is specified)."
I wouldn't expect logs to be written to syslog when "foreground =
true". I would expect logs to be appended to the "output file" and
only there when "output = FILE" is used.

Best,
--
Casper Thomsen