[stunnel-users] Problem with pidfile

reg14 at rambler.ru reg14 at rambler.ru
Thu May 29 15:07:13 CEST 2014

On 28/May/2014 at 19:18:41 -0400, Brian Wilkins wrote:
> Stunnel should remove it on abnormal exit. It's customary. See here
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/688343/reference-for-proper-handling-of-pid-file-on-unix

As I described in my previous message, the problem is that stunnel
does not remove pidfile on *normal* exit if it received HUP signal.

Thanks for the link. You are probably right, removing pidfile on exit
(if daemon has write access for /var/run) is a good convention.
But ignoring the existing pidfile on statup is rather unusual.
Discussion on the link tends to the point that there is no canonical
way for handling pidfiles. So on the daemon level it would be
desirable if this were as simple as possible.